Union Deposit United Methodist Church
34 West Main Street, Hershey PA  17033 (in the Villiage of Union Deposit)    Ph:717-566-7231
About Us
Our Staff      Our Worship      Our Fellowship     Our Outreach      Our Study       Our History   



  Pastor Gail         Cheryl          Barb & Ken

            Pastor Gail Boyer                                Cheryl Stine                              Barb & Ken Skelly 

          Pastor & Spiritual Leader                             Church Secretary                                   Custodians

           pastor@udumc.com                                                  office@udumc.com



  Bruce                                                                                       Nancy

                                                                            Nancy Weitzel

               Director of Music                                        Organist






  •  Weekly Traditional and Blended Worship Services
    • All ages including a Children's Worship Program
  • Choirs
    • Sanctuary Choir
    • HandBell Choir  (Bruce's Ding-a-Lings)
  • Choirs and congregation accompanied by:
    • Pipe organ - 11 rank - 850 pipes
    • Grand Piano

Back to Top



 Come and get to know your brothers and sisters in Christ!

  • Wednesday Quilting Guild
  • Various covered-dish events
  • Annual summer block party
  • Spring Fling - Talent night
  • Annual Church picnic (and outdoor worship!)
  • Soup and bake sales
  • Church clean-up days
  • Making Chocolate covered easter eggs - YUM!
  • Game nights

Back to Top



 Only through moving beyond yourself to helping others can you truly understand the lessons of Christ.


  • Pre-School classes
  • Mission Committee and United Methodist Women (Organized for study and support of mission work from local mission to global mission
  • Community Vacation bible school (coordinated with the Zion Lutheran Church, our neighbor from up the street!)
  • Community Bookmobile site
  • Community Christmas open house and carol sing
  • Provide funeral meals for bereaved families
  • Sponsoring organization for #201 Cub Pack, Boy Scout Troop and Crew
  • Support The American Cancer Society's Daffodil Days
  • Supports the United Methodist camping program and provides scolarships
  • Release-Time program for elementary age children


Back to Top



Small group study offers the background for the understanding of God's word.  Worship service is great to get your weekly dose of reality and become centered again, but it's the education that pushes you along in your walk with Christ.  Come join us in that walk through our various educational opportunities. 


We offer weekly Sunday School classes for all ages!

  • Children / Teen classes 
  • Men's Bible Class and Women's Shining Bethany Class using the United Methodist International Sunday School Series
  • Joy Class (post high school through adult) for a very open interactive discussion on various topics and educational series
    • Currently studying the "Simply Christian" series, a series of lessons on what it means to be a christian. 
    • All viewpoints welcome! 
  • Fall and Lenten Bible Studies lead by the Pastor
  • Education opportunities offered by the United Methodist Chrurch as well as inter-demoninational studies
  • Confirmation classes for all ages in the winter and spring.

Please join us for various weekly bible studies


Back to Top



Issac Hershey, owner of a farm, conveyed two lots consisting of 53 square perches to the trustees for the congregation on May 29, 1848, for the sum of $80.  Services were first held under an oak tree standing on the church site and also in brother Hoover's house while the original church was being built.

The original building was constructed of brick and completed in 1848.  An item in the quarterly conference minutes, dated December 15, 1849, states that the cost of the building was $1,350.

For the first 100 years, the church as directly entered from Main Street with the front door of the sanctuary being on the southern wall.  The one-room sanctuary served the congregation well.  However, there seemed to be a continual need for more space.  By the fall of 1948, it became evident the congregation must either enlarge or cease adding members! 

By May 11, 1952, the annex was completed at an approximate cost of $40,000 including donated labor.  A mortgage was undertaken for $10,000 and was paid by Easter 1955.  WIth the addition of the annex, the church had a basement level for the first time, and allowed for expanded fellowship opportunitues and also for the preparation of the countless tasty meals that followed. 

To keep up the the needs of the church and community, approval was given in April of 1988 for the facilities to be upgraded and to add a church office, a pastor's study, education rooms, and new restrooms on the first level, as well as adding a steeple and a carillion.  Through the faithful giving of the congregation, special gifts and fund raisers, the $250,000 load was paid off in November 1998.

Back to Top
Website Builder